Considering the need for a financial controller for your business? To help you solidify the decision, learn more about the duties of a financial controller and the benefits of partnering with an outsourced client accounting services (CAS) provider to make it even easier!
What is a financial controller and what does one do?
A financial controller typically answers to the chief financial officer (CFO) of a company. The CFO is under the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) or reports directly to the owner, depending on the business hierarchy.
A financial controller is an accounting professional who oversees bookkeeping and accounting functions. Some other duties a controller handles include the following:
- Managing accounting software systems
- Establishing and monitoring finance-related internal controls
- Assisting with budgeting and forecasting processes
- Assisting other executives with designing and implementing financial strategies
- Analysis of the business financial reports
When working with smaller businesses and startups, a financial controller may wear more than one hat, such as serving as both the controller and the CFO.
How do client accounting services help?
Outsourced client accounting services feature financial controllers and other levels of specialists who provide day-to-day guidance and oversight to business owners or other in-house staff.
The controller is responsible for working with accounting specialists and maintaining standard processes throughout the various accounting and bookkeeping tasks required to keep a business operating. The controller is responsible for implementing checks and balances that reduce internal risks and transactional errors.
Other areas client accounting services can help include the following:
- Budgeting and forecasting
- Preparing financial statements
- Monitoring and measuring KPIs
- Identifying internal inefficiency
- Informing upper-level management of financial status and overall business health
Is now the time to bring on a financial controller?
The decision to add a financial controller to your roster, whether that means teaming up with an outsourced CAS provider, or expanding your in-house staff, can be made easier if you are experiencing some of the following pain points:
- Your business is expanding or ready to expand but doesn't have the necessary support
- Your business is struggling with cash flow challenges
- Your business routinely faces compliance challenges
- You have a limited technology team and are vulnerable to internal and external risks
- Operating with paper-based accounting methods is slowing you down
Hiring a financial controller could be a large expense to take on, but fortunately, there are many reputable outsourced CAS providers offering packages that are much easier to obtain for small to medium-sized businesses.
AccountingDepartment.com offers outsourced full-charge client accounting service plans designed around your specific needs and budget. Reach out today to learn more about how we can set you up for future growth and profitability.