There are tax credit relief options available to small business owners under the Families First Coronavirus Relief Act (FFCRA) covering Emergency Family Medical Leave. The FFCRA’s paid leave provisions are effective on April 1, 2020, and apply to leave taken between April 1, 2020, and December 31, 2020.
FFCRA Emergency Family Medical Leave Payroll Tax Credit
- Employer has fewer than 500 employees including affiliates as defined by FMLA
- Pays employees who request up to 12 weeks of leave to care for a child under age 18 whose school or care provider is unavailable due to COVID-19
- Credit limited to the lesser of two-thirds of employee’s regular pay or daily rate of $200 for 10 weeks
Qualifying Reasons for Leave
- Under the FFCRA, an employee qualifies for paid sick time if the employee is unable to work (or unable to telework) due to a need for leave because the employee:
- is subject to a Federal, State, or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19;
- has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine related to COVID-19;
- is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and is seeking a medical diagnosis;
- is caring for a child whose school or place of care is closed (or child care provider is unavailable) for reasons related to COVID-19; or
- is experiencing any other substantially-similar condition specified by the Secretary of Health and Human Services, in consultation with the Secretaries of Labor and Treasury.
- Under the FFCRA, an employee qualifies for expanded family leave if the employee is caring for a child whose school or place of care is closed (or child care provider is unavailable) for reasons related to COVID-19.
AccountingDepartment.com's COVID-19 SMB resources are available here should you have questions about the relief options available to you. Our team of experts are here to empower businesses with accurate and insightful financial data. Providing world-class outsourced bookkeeping and controller services to the businesses of entrepreneurs and forward-thinking owners for over 16 years.